I counsel clients on the best options for promoting an effective and efficient work environment, and clients appreciate that I treat their employees as if they are my own. My primary focus is to help clients circumvent disputes when possible, and I have a proven track record in those situations where litigation is unavoidable.
I am an experienced advocate who advises both local and national employers on employment agreements and handbooks, workplace harassment issues and training programs, performance management, reductions in force, FLSA and wage/hour compliance, independent contractors, social media and other aspects of the employment relationship. I represent management in all phases of employment law, including equal employment litigation, wage and hour litigation, the protection of confidential and proprietary business information, executive compensation and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
My practice also includes representation of management in dealings with labor unions and the NLRB. I have represented clients in all stages of union interaction – from avoiding union campaigns to negotiating collective bargaining agreements, including agreements compliant with the Service Contract Act (SCA).
After obtaining my law degree from Harvard and starting mycareer with an international law firm, I returned home to Montgomery County, Maryland. I have earned the position of Co-Chair of the Shulman Rogers Employment and Labor Practice Group, and currently serve as Chair of the firm’s EEO Committee. I am routinely quoted in BusinessWeek and other respected publications and am a published author for Thomson Reuters as well as my own employment blog, LegalSolutionsAtWork.com.
* Successfully defended an employer in a jury trial brought by the EEOC, where the EEOC claimed that an employee was subject to a sexually and racially hostile environment. After a 7 day trial, the jury found in favor of my client and denied the EEOC’s claims.
* Investigated allegation of workplace harassment and advised client on how to avoid future liability.
* Represented management in a successful campaign to defeat a union election.
* Persuaded the Department of Labor (DOL) to significantly reduce fines and settlement obligations assessed in connection with an FLSA audit.
* Successfully defeated harassment allegation on summary judgment that was affirmed on appeal to the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Bar Association of Montgomery County, Employment Law Section Co-Chair